Laman

Sunday, August 22, 2010

What I like about these Belgian kitchens

This weekend I figured out that a lot of readers enter my blog by googling “kitchens” and in particular Belgian kitchens. So that’s why I decided to post another blogpost about Belgian kitchens.

I asked myself which really is my prefered kitchen. What do I like about Belgian kitchens? There are so many images to discover in all the wonderful books and magazines about Belgian kitchens. I posted only a few images of kitchens I love. In fact I could go on and on with posting wonderful images…

My prefered kitchen is the one a family can really live in! Very cozy, with adorable fabrics, ceramic pottery, a lot of oak used for the cabinetry, Delft tiles,….a big table to gather around,…

The kitchen designs of our Belgian designer Axel Vervoordt are definitely my favorites. See image 2 and 3. Entering these kitchens, give you the feeling you entered a 17th Century Dutch interior. I would say that the base elements as the materials chosen for the floor, the ceiling and the walls (as the ceiling beams, terracotta floor tiles, Delft wall tiles) really evoke this 17th century atmosphere. Beside all this Mr Vervoordt isn’t afraid of adding furniture of decorative items of another period and style. Let me call these, the well-worn kitchens. As image 1, 2 and 3.

But there are so much more kitchen styles I even love.

Enjoy!

18

1.

Love the worn pine flooring, the worn painted furniture, the terracotta pottery, the fabrics.

 

16

2. Axel Vervoordt

This kitchen designed by Axel Vervoordt, has always been one of my favorite kitchens! Do you feel the Dutch 17th century? The century of the Dutch painter Johannes Vermeer? The limepaint, the terracotta floor tiles, the ceiling beams, the furniture, the sink in the background, a 17th century styled chandelier.

 

Johannes Vermeer 1

The Milkmaid ca 1658- Johannes Vermeer

Do you feel it?

17th Century kitchen17th century kitchen

 

15

3. Axel Vervoordt

Another Axel Vervoordt kitchen. The walls are entirely covered with Delft tiles. Here in Belgium and Holland we call them “Hollandse wittekes”.

 

 

13

4.

The oak cabinetry here is just beautiful. Notice the “Hollandse wittekes”.

 

7

5.

I especially love that kitchen hood here! Wonderful floor tiles and a very beautiful chandelier.

 

12 6.

The architectural details, the arched shaped wall and the “oeil de boeuf” window above the door, are GORGEOUS to me!

Detail : I love the shutters.

9

7.

In this kitchen the mix of the straight kitchen hood and the arched window! Well done!

 

10 8.

I always love a kitchen with a sight to another room as here. The partition between the 2 rooms here is probably made of steel. Good idea, isn’t it?

119.

Mix of Belgian bluestone (floor and sink) and oak cabinetry.

 

3

10.

And yes why not bringing in a surprising element in your kitchen as this atelier working table used as a kitchen serve area. Belgian people are so inventive, not???

 

 

14  11.

What I like about this kitchen is the entired wood covered wall, where all the kitchen appliances (here the fridge) can be hidden.

Deatil : notice the steel door.

 

19 12.

In this kitchen I love the cozy “chalet” style that the wood and wall colors are evoking here.

 

17

13.

Reclaimed floor tiles !!!

20 14.

Weathered wood. The cutlery boxes at the worktop. Steel windows and fan lights.

 

1

15.

Beautiful kitchen here! Notice the different shades of the Delft tiles on the wall.

I always love the use of Swedish chairs at a kitchen table. Do you?

 

2

16.

A lot of Belgian kitchens are painted in gray. Gray for the entire kitchen cabinetry or there can be a mix between oak and painted cabinetry. As you can see at this picture above.

 

6

17.

Gray is a color that is very easily matching with oak and bluestone, frequently used in Belgian kitchen designs.

There are a lot of shades of gray!!! And it is not always easy to find the appropriate shade, depending on the light that is coming in. Past week, Maria of the blog Colour me Happy did a wonderful post about chosing the right shade of blue-gray! Check it out HERE ! Very interesting to read (as all Maria’s posts are!!).

And Joni of the blog Cote de Texas wrote, a few days ago, about the color gray! Check it out HERE and you will discover lots of inspirational images!

818.

Bluestone for the sink and kitchen top.

 

5

19.

Another gray painted kitchen in combination with the Belgian bluestone floor and oak ceiling beams here.

 

4 20.

I love the Moroccan zelliges wall tiles. Even the black colored tiles are wonderful in combination with dark flooring. And that black crystal chandelier is an eye-cather!

 

 

What do you like about these kitchens or which kitchen do you prefer? I would love to hear that from you!

 

If you want to read more about Belgian kitchens, please read my earlier blogpost about Belgian kitchens HERE.

xx

Signature

Image sources : 1 Hedendaags Wonen met Antiek, Beta-Plus; 2 & 3 Wonen op een Kasteel, Beta-Plus; 4,6 & 11 Compendium Kleur & Textuur, Beta-Plus; 5 Wonen Landelijke Stijl –juni/juli 2010; 7 & 8 Vlassak Verhulst; 9 Rik Storms; 10,15,16,19 & 20 Keukens Landelijke Stijl –editie 2010-2011; 12 Antiek Amber; 13 Boerderijen en Kasteelhoeves,Beta-Plus; 14 Andreas Van Apers; 17 Janssens & Tailly; 18 (do not know source)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

DISCLAIMER
If you are the copyright owner of any of these articles or image and don't want me to share them, please, write comments on pages and I will gladly remove them.